Wednesday 27 November 2013

A Stag ‘Do’

           As usual at this time of year I’m trying to tidy up my year list and pick up the birds that I really should have seen earlier in the year.  Two birds that were missing from my year list were Slavonian Grebe and Great Northern Diver.  So on Monday I headed up to Stag Rock to try my luck. 

On the sea, there were good numbers of Long-tailed Duck, maybe as many as fifty on view.  Just beyond the breakers, was a small flock of Eiders with a few Common Scoter and a single Velvet Scoter in with them.  I soon pick up one of my targets with a single Slav just off the end of Stag Rock which dived and then was never seen again!  I did pick out three or four Grebes, within the large flocks of Common Scoter North of Stag Rock, that looked a bit dull to be Slavs but they were very distant and I couldn’t say for definite what they were. 

Whilst trying to get some other birders onto another Velvet Scoter, I spotted a very dark looking Diver just off the rocks, so I dashed back to my car to get my scope and it was ‘target number two’, a superb Great Northern Diver, which then took off and flew North.  I managed to get the other birders onto it as it flew off towards Holy Island.
 
 

I then got greedy and tried for the previous days Glaucous Gull at Long Nanny, again with no luck.  I couldn’t resist seconds of the Lesser Grey Shrike though which performed superb as usual.  I can’t help thinking what will happen to this bird once the photographers get bored with it and stop putting mealworms out for it?      

No comments:

Post a Comment