Friday 4 October 2013

A New Beginning



I’ve started this blog as a bit of an experiment, but I’m not sure if I’ll have the time to keep it going.  For now though we will see how we go.

 

Yesterday I headed down to St Marys to see if there had been any new overnight arrivals.  Within ten minutes of arriving I’d found my first Firecrest near the first viewing screen.  It then flew into willows near the second viewing screen where it joined another one.  Two Firecrests within fifteen minutes, not a bad start!   However despite spending most of the day there, the only other highlights were a Redstart, a few Goldcrest and a Yellow-Browed Warbler.

 

Today whilst sitting in the pub having lunch, I received a text informing me of a Subalpine Warbler at Druridge Pools.  But after having a beer and with things to do this afternoon it wasn’t looking good, then in steps my superb ‘other half’ offering to give me a lift up to Druridge.  So off to Druridge Pools we headed, arriving late afternoon.  We walked North towards a group of birders but the bird had disappeared, so we walked a bit further to get higher for a better overall view.  After about ten minutes of scanning the vegetation the Subalpine Warbler flew right past us and into a small Hawthorne on the other side of the Haul Road.  From where this superb little lifer showed quite well for the next five minutes or so.  Giving a new meaning to ‘Sub of the day’.  Nice!  

No comments:

Post a Comment