Wednesday 16 October 2013

Border Crossing


I headed North today to try for the Sardinian Warbler at Mire Loch. As it has been there for so long it would have been rude not to go!   As I walked along the path on the West side of the Loch with another birder, we saw a small bird fly up into the dense foliage of the Sycamore trees, but I wasn’t sure whether this was a Yellow-Browed or Pallas’s Warbler.  I only got the briefest of views but it just seemed a bit bright for Yellow-Browed.  Whilst trying to relocate the Warbler a pair of Mealy Redpoll landed in a tree right next to us, unfortunately my camera was in my back pack.  Doh!  We didn’t find the Warbler again although a Pallas’s was reported from the same area later on!

The birder I was walking along with had been there for the last four mornings with not even a sniff of the Sardinian Warbler so things weren’t looking good.  After about half an hour it popped out of a bush right in front of him and we watched it move through the bush, feeding on blackberries, before it flew into gorse - never to be seen again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment