Thursday 8 January 2015

Bright and Breezy

I drove up to East Chevington this morning via West Chevington in the hope of a Hen Harrier on route, but had no luck.  On the North pool were Long-tailed Duck, Black-necked Grebe and lots of Goldeneye.  Just as I was about to leave, a flock of geese flew in from the North.  As they were flying in I could see two Bar-headed Geese, a few Pink-footed and a White-fronted Goose in amongst the Grey-lags.  Once they had settled on the pool I could see that the White-front was very small and it had a definite eye ring.  So it was a little disappointing that it was the Lesser White-fronted Goose of uncertain origin rather than a pucker White-front.

I then headed to Widdrington Moor where I spent the next hour with still no signs of the Hen Harrier.  Next stop was Druridge Pools where I picked up the Green-winged Teal almost straight away, doing what they do best, sleeping.  


I had a look at Creswell pond but the water level was very high, so I headed back to Widdrington Moor where the ringtail Harrier was hunting at the North side of the lake.  A nice end to a good mornings birding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment